I love to try new recipes mostly because I hate cooking the same thing over and over again. Gage is a good sport, he tries them all and even rates them for me on a scale of 1-5. His way of letting me know which ones to keep and which ones to throw out! So I'm always on the look out for a quick to make, great tasting recipe... I've decided to pass some of them on to who ever actually looks at my blog... in return I want you to do the same! If you have a good one I can try post it as a comment, Thanks.
Here's one that takes a little more time and costs a little more, real parmesan cheese, half-and-half, asparagus and things like that. So we don't get to have it that often but when we do it's great. Even better, Gage loves to help cook this one so I love having it.
3/4 - 1 lb. Penne pasta
1 lb. Asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
12-15 slices Turkey Bacon, cut into small squares
1 1/4 cups Fat-free half-and-half
3 Egg yolks
1/2 tsp Dried Basil
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Cook pasta in lightly salted water following package directions. Add Asparagus to pasta for last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain and keep warm. (To trim asparagus take a stalk hold at each end and bend, it has a natural breaking point. When it breaks keep the spiky end.)
2. While pasta is cooking, place bacon in a medium size skillet and cook over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly browned and crisp. Drain any excess grease.
3. In a small sauce pan, whisk half-and-half and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, about 8 minutes, whisking CONSTANTLY. After the 8 minutes, take off heat and stir in basil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
4. Add bacon to cooked pasta and asparagus. Stir in creamy egg mixture. Stir in 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese.
5. Spoon pasta onto serving dish and sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on each serving. Enjoy!
Just a note, last time I left out the asparagus and it still tasted great.