Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bear Lake Blast

This past weekend was the annual Crabtree family get together at the Lake. I've been waiting for this all summer, so here is the play by play...
Thursday night I still hadn't packed and we were leaving first thing Friday morning so I knew we were in for a late night. First I got both kids packed, then the beach bag, then me, then it was time to pack the car with tents, chairs etc. Then a quick run to the store for food, I got back at around 9:15 and got to start making salads (3 pasta salads and 2 fruit salads). Things were going smoothly until Trevin figured out he could climb onto the cooler that was on the floor and decided to grab the hot stove! I felt like an awful parent cause I was standing right there and should have been paying more attention. Any way I didn't get a picture but Trevin was so cute sitting on the counter trying to catch the ice cubes that I had put in a bowl of cold water. He ended up with two blisters- but we're lucky it could have been a lot worse. My night finished with making a 4th of July dress for Cheyenne and then winding down to an episode of "Reba."
Friday morning we planned on leaving the house at 8 am, but we made it out the door at 8:40. Two hours of driving and we made it to the Lake with two sleeping kids. But don't worry it didn't take Trevin long to wake up and start exploring! We always start the weekend with any work projects then we can spend the rest of the weekend playing. This year we recarpeted the stairs to the trailer, but first the old carpet had to come off.

Gage got to work scraping off the old stuff and Trevin wasn't far behind- he loves to help Dad. Gerin measured for the new carpet.Then Miles helped Gage glue it on, while I tried to distract Trevin.

Sierra and Savana worked to get the drive way cleared of weeds and Aanika worked in the flowers.

Darrin got the dirty job of pulling out bushes.

Trevin and Chase both helped Gage hammer the knots out of the grass. In the end Gage went a little over board and had about riped out the entire root system before Sherry stopped him. :) Everything looked great by the time we were finished. For our reward we got to ride the 4 man bikes that the KOA rents out. It was so much fun.

We had two bikes with 2 adult and 2 kids each and then a monster bike with 4 adults and 2 kids. What started out as a leisurely ride quickly turned into a competition. Gage and I totally smoked everyone! we even risked tipping the bike into a storm drain to take the lead. This is the monster bike but it's hard to see, they were eating our dust! After a while we all switched bikes, and we put all the "Power hitters" on the big bike, plus me... and in the end it was too much for the bike we broke the bike and only two of the four pedals worked for the ride home. Oops!

We got back to camp and it was time for the Men to prove themselves in the Mr. T completion. Each of them got a frozen T- shirt that they had to unthaw/brake apart and put on. This was a lot of fun to watch. They tried everything... pounding the ice block on the cement, prying with their fingers
Erwin tried the coconut method and pounded his shirt on a rock with a rock, and miles even resorted to turning on the truck and holding his shirt by the exhaust pipe! Oh the creativity...
Here they are our manly men!
Next it was time for our "Secret Agent Camp" The kids all decorated binoculars and used them to find clues around the yard.
It took him a while but Trevin finally figured out how to look through the binoculars. After a few secret agent tasks, breaking codes, combination locks, the agents were put to the test! They found a bomb and had to defuse it!Chersti is so creative. The kids loved taking turns cutting the wires to defuse it!The agents passed and the bomb was defused and everyone got to graduate! Here is our class picture!
Saturday was our day at the beach. What a great way to celebrate Independence Day! Gage went down to help dock the boat along with all of the other men. The rest of us packed up kids and made our way to the beach to mark our spot. Trevin wasn't that thrilled about playing in the water but Dad did get him to ride the whale for a little while. We did a lot of playing in the sand. Trevin loved to fill up the bucket and help Gage dump it out. Cheyenne slept for a while, but loved it when Papa held her.

The boat is always fun, who doesn't love a chance to get on the water? Trevin couldn't resist falling asleep to the rocking of the boat. Chersti even proved her skill on a wakeboard. Later that night Bubba the masked bandit showed up to start a marshmallow fight.

Marshmallows were flying left and right and Savana tried hard to keep up eating them as fast as the boys were shooting them. Trevin got pegged a couple of times but didn't seem to mind and definitely wanted to stay right in the middle of the action. We love Bear Lake but having the whole family together is the best part! We can't wait until next year. Maybe Trevin will be old enough to catch the lizards that kept getting away from him!

No comments: