Monday, May 9, 2011

RACE FOR THE CURE 2011

Saturday we participated in the SLC Race for the Cure. It was such a wonderful experience. One of my Mom's Best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer in the last year and we all went to support her and the thousands of others that are currently in the fight.
Friday night Lindsay and I made matching shirts for all the kids. Which had our team name on the back "Kristine's Crusaders". All the little girls hair was crimped and Trevin got to show off his mohawk and bright pink bandana.
Sierra and Mike joined up with us at the starting line. Mike sister Katie is also a breast cancer survivor. They wore their "Hats off to Katie" hats to show their support.
I couldn't believe how many people were there and the pictures don't do it justice. When Sierra and Mike came to join us, we had to put Trevin up on our shoulders so they so they could pick us out of the sea of white and pink. It was really neat to see all of the SURVIVORS in their bright pink shirts. I also loved reading the signs on everyone's backs that showed who they were their to support.
We did the 5K. Trevin probably walked/ran about a mile of it. He ran and kept saying "I'm gunna be the winner!" He was actually hard to keep up with since he could sneak between people and I had to run around them.
We had such a great time. It is something that everyone should do at least once in their life. It was amazing to see all the love and support for the survivors. And those who were there to remember and celebrate the lives of those that lost the battle. We will make this a yearly tradition and hope to see the sea of pink survivors GROW every year.


This song is amazing... here are the lyrics.

"I RUN FOR LIFE" By: Melissa Etheridge
It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still running
She'll tell you it makes her complete

[Chorus:]
I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken it's toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To awake when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running
I'll tell you I run for us all

[Chorus:]

And someday if they tell you about it

If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember her remember me
We will be running as we have before
Running for answers
Running for more

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend
I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend I run for life
Ohohohoh

I run for your mother your sister your daughter your wife
I run for you and me my friend:| I run for life

1 comment:

David and Camillia said...

You guys are so cute! I have wanted to do the race for the cure. Maybe next year. :)